“Wellness encompasses a healthy body, a sound mind, and a tranquil spirit. Enjoy the journey as you strive for wellness.” -Laurette Gagnon Beaulieu
We are often too busy to take care of all 3 these very important components! The truth is that as keepers of the house, woman can not afford NOT to keep the balance between physical and mental health.
Physical and psychological health checks:
· Monitor your Blood Pressure and Pulse Rate: A sudden increase should be further evaluated.
· Mammogram: Medical aids only pay for a mammogram every 2/3 years. Do your breast self-examination at least once a month and discuss any abnormal findings with your GP. Even if you do not know what exactly you are feeling for-your brain will make a map if you do it regularly and alert you to any changes.
· Pap test: Schedule your yearly Pap test with your GP or gynaecologist. A Pap test will pick up abnormal cells before they turn cancerous.
· Base line blood tests: Most medicals include Lipogram, Glucose and HIV tests. An Iron profile, Vit D, Thyroid and Insulin should also be done-especially in the case of chronic fatigue and weight gain.
· Colonoscopy and Bone density tests for over 50’s are also important.
· Be honest with yourself about how you feel. Your emotional well-being plays a very important part in your physical well-being. Discuss issues such as insomnia and anxiety with your GP or Psychologist. Sort out the ghosts of the pass and the fears of the future.
Strive for wellness and enjoy the journey- your children will learn from your example and benefit from a parent that grows old healthy.